Monday, May 16, 2011

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath" - Michael Caine

Life must be great for ducks right now.

All this rain and all of the places where water is high, it must be so easy for them to find places of relaxation this time of year.  The other day, I stumbled upon a duck and goose wonderland. 


I was driving along some back roads looking for a quaint little bridge I had seen years ago, when I noticed an even bigger bridge connecting two pieces of crisp green lawn - with a brook gently flowing through them. 



Once I started trekking through this property, I discovered goslings and ducklings nearby.  It's impossible to watch them and not smile!  They are all so fluffy and cute!!



A really fun little fact about geese is that most mate for life (as do swans).  If you thought you're parents were over protective when you kid, I'm sure they had nothing on these geese.  The whole group always stayed together.  Much to my delight, they even posed for a family portrait.



The geese lived next door to a group of ducks.  The ducklings were so tiny compared to the goslings.  They beautifully resembled a family swimming together - with the mallard standing on shore assuring their safety.

The ducks and geese also shared their home with a muskrat.  I was there during his lunchtime, and I got to watch him scour for food in the grass.  Eventually he swam back to his home under an old delapadated wooden structure.  This little guy wasn't much for pictures - but I suppose it could have been due to his messy hair-do after his swim! :-D



My afternoon was so peaceful.  I would love have a wonderland like this in our backyard.  One can dream!

It is possible that I take such interest in all of these creatures because I can so easily relate to them.  I would like to think I am elegant like the goose, even though I can feel like the skittish muskrat.  In most cases, I am probably most like the duck - "calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickins underneath"  -
Michael Caine. 

Hope you all had a great weekend!

-JB

No comments:

Post a Comment