Thursday, May 19, 2011

Don't miss "the moments"...

I had been waiting for a rainbow all week.

Yesterday before dinner, my hubby came in from work and said "I think you're going to get your wish."  He walked out onto our back patio, and excitedly came back in announcing loudly that my moment was here.  I shifted into "go mode" to get my camera, ran outside, and when I went to turn it on, the only thing that happened was this message - "change battery pack" (<- and it looks just like that in an ominous red print).

So I'm not going to lie, my initial reaction was to feel pretty angry.  Granted, it was my fault it was dead, but still, I'd waited all week for this.  And the real kicker was that I had used the camera the evening before and I had two power bars left.  Since it was dead without reason, I ran inside and traded it for an old point and shoot Canon.  The shots I got weren't nearly as exciting as what I had hoped for, so I put that camera down as well and just enjoyed the moment.



Lots of times I think photographers can get so caught up in wanting the perfect shot, that we forgot to enjoy where we are and what we are experiencing.  Sometimes the same thing happens in life - we are just to busy to enjoy what is happening right where we are.  While I have included one of my shots, I realized something long after the rainbow was gone - the rainbow was for me.  I'm sure you've had a week that has been particularly trying, and that is where I am this week.  The moment with the rainbow was for me to soak it in, remembering the peace, love, and hope that rainbows symbolize.

I hope that as "the moments" come and go in your day to day life that you take the time to enjoy them.  Whether it's a happy song you hear an older gentleman whistling through the grocery store, a stranger holding the door for you, or a rainbow after the storm, let it be the reminder in your day that there is something to smile about.

I hope you are all having a good week :)

-JB

No comments:

Post a Comment